// you're reading...

News

Portland Marathon Day Has Lizards Racing and Pacing

Portland Marathon race day is always an impressive day for Lizard nation. Huge groups of pacers out on the course leading runners across the finish line at their goal time. A mass of Lizards setting up the mile 24 aid station and ensuring that there is not only fluids for runners, but also music and a lot of support as they pass the crew (which this year included a dancing banana!).

And marathon day in 2016 was not an easy day to be out there. Wet and windy conditions certainly made it hard for runners to perform like they wanted. While most pacers were only running half of the course, those conditions also made it hard for pacers to drive their pace signs into the wind. But most pace groups were able to deliver their groups across the finish line within 30 seconds of their goal time – which is extremely impressive.

The real troopers out in the wet and cold were the volunteers who helped set up the aid station, and spent hours out there handing out water and Ultima to weary runners. The winners may have gone by in 2:30 pace, but the majority of runners are in the 4-6 hour pace – which means a whole lot of time standing around out there cheering people on. While pacers might get a whole lot more direct praise for the role they play in helping runners achieve their goals, I know that there are a whole lot of people who appreciate the smiles, the kind words, and other positive energy that everyone at the aid station provided to participants who passed by throughout the race.

The one interesting twist this year was that all of the pace groups in corrals C and D ended up running an extra half mile. Based on looking at Garmin data, it looks like the extra distance happened early on in the race – somehow runners weren’t directed to make the right turn off SW 4th Ave onto Couch. Definitely a bummer for runners in those groups that ended up going 26.9 miles.

But no need to focus on the negative. All in all, I think what Team Red Lizards accomplished at this year’s Portland Marathon was downright impressive. However you were involved today, thank you for helping represent this amazing group of runners in our local community.

Lizards rock!

Discussion

8 Responses to “Portland Marathon Day Has Lizards Racing and Pacing”

1. I was in the F corral and ran the extra length as well!

Posted by Jessica Lahti | October 9, 2016, 6:08 pm
  2. Same happened in E corral too!

Posted by Si Clough | October 9, 2016, 8:29 pm
  3. I was in G and Julia the 5 hour pacer was awesome and consistent and I PR with her help. Thank You So Much Julia

Posted by Yvonne Bonvillian | October 9, 2016, 8:34 pm
  4. I am just glad that this is not a BQ Event, especially after the fiasco at Vancouver USA this year. A great course with great support, volunteers, and at times some great views. I ran this race in 2010 as well, so I am 2/2 in the rain department.
    Thanks for a well organized event, sans the extra mileage.

Posted by Bill Manning | October 10, 2016, 1:09 pm
  5. It’s a valid BQ qualifier for 2018, just not a last minute qualifier for 2017.

Corral A(&B?) ran the correct course.

Thanks to all the pacers and volunteers out there yesterday. You made the day.

Posted by dean anderson | October 10, 2016, 1:59 pm
  6. Just wanted to thank the pacers who paced the 3:35 group. I faded a bit on the last few miles but still came in under 3:35 (3:34:04) which was a PR for me! You guys and gal (Sarah) did an amazing job pacing this and my mile splits have been really fun to look at. Thanks again for the awesome experience!!!

Posted by Steve | October 11, 2016, 3:06 pm
  7. Thanks for the corrections on this affecting folks in corrals E and F, in addition to C and D. Definitely a bummer how many folks were impacted by this.

But on the bright side, at least the entire field that ran the extra distance was able to safely navigate themselves back over to the course and continue on. I can only imagine what might have happened if people ended up running down to Naito and and being able to take a left (cutting off miles of the course), or worse yet, never ending up back on course. Can you imagine if 4th put you onto one of the bridges over the Willamette… there would have been a whole lot of runners who were really wondering what was going on when they saw the “Welcome to Gresham” sign ;)

Posted by Torrey | October 12, 2016, 5:51 am
  8. I really want to thank the 3:15 pace group – Matt, Laura, Karlyn & Roberto. You guys were fantastic – super organized and enthusiastic and really managed the pace based on effort up and down the hills. This was my 3rd marathon and the first time I had lots in the tank for the last 10K. Matt had great tips on how the aid stations would be set up, best way to take the drink cups etc. I made my Chicago qualifying time and I know running with this group was a big reason why.

thanks again,