The days are getting longer and warmer… we have made it through another winter! Summer is on its way, and regardless of what the calendar or weather say, this year’s Summer Series is kicking off in just over a week (race number 1 is on April 8).
Not familiar with the Summer Series? This is an annual intra-club competition where we score results of some selected races and then award prizes based on participation and rank.
The “rank” is based on how well male and female Lizards place against one another at each event—scores are awarded where the first finishing Lizard gets 100 point, the final Lizard gets 20, and the point in between are divided by however many show up for that race. The male and female Lizards with the top scores based on rank will fill the first 5 slots of the 10 who will receive fame and fortune (or at least first pick of the cool prizes we are amassing).
For the rank list, we count the best 5 of 9 races for each person to calculate their series standings. In addition to the top 5 ranked male and female Lizard, we will also be putting the top 5 male and female participants into the running for those prizes. So even if you were the final Lizard in all 9 events, the fact that you did all of the events almost assures you will be amongst the top 5 participants. So, go fast or go often—either approach might help you score one of the amazing prizes we will hand out at the Summer Sizzler to be held in September.
This year’s races:
1. April 8—Dogwood Dash 5k, Milwaukie, $25. https://runsignup.com/Race/OR/Milwaukie/DogwoodDashOR?remMeAttempt=
2. April 29—Willamette Mission Trail 10k, $20 w/ discount code: TRL2017 https://www.signmeup.com/site/online-event-registration/117760
3. May 13—Lake Run 10k, Lake Oswego, $40 http://www.lowomensclub.org/LakeRunRegistration
4. May 29—Up The Lazy River 10k, West Linn, $25 w/TRL discount. https://runsignup.com/Race/OR/WestLinn/UpTheLazyRiver
5. June 17—Backyard Half, White Salmon, $20 https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=43348
6. July 9—Outdoor Evening 5k, Beaverton, $5 https://www.raceentry.com/race-reviews/outdoor-sunday-evenings-5k
7. July 16—PJ’s to Pancakes 5k, West Linn, $8 http://westlinnoregon.gov/oldtimefair/pjs-pancakes-run-walk
8. August 6—McCubbin’s Gulch Scramble, $35 http://www.xdogevents.com/mccubbinsgulch.html
9. Strava Challenge. All that is needed to score in this race is a GPS-enabled watch and syncing your watch with Strava. The segment is called the “TRL SS Oaks Bottom 2.5K reroute”, and you can run the segment as many times as you like between the first and last Summer Series race – we will pull the ranking list from the ranked Team Red Lizard club list that Strava generates – so join Strava, and make sure you join the TRL club on Strava.
This year’s prizes are started to accumulate, but so far include:
- Entry to the Silver Falls trail of your choice (7 mile, half, full 50k) – have 2 of these
- Pair of Hoka shoes
- 2 night stay at beach condo in Manzanita
- Your choice of shoes/boots from Dr. Martens – 2 pairs up for grabs
- Shamrock Run entry – 2 up for grabs
- And more to be announced soon.
The series is only as fun as the people who show up, so come join us for some fun races over the next few months.